Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy snow day!

It started snowing sometime overnight and we received the long-anticipated calls early this morning.  First the call saying that my kids didn't have school, then a call saying that I was on a 2-hour delay (just prolonging the inevitable), then a third call about 45 minutes later canceling my school day, too.

There's nothing better than a snow day!

I told my classes yesterday that if we did indeed get today off they should check their class blogs for any extra opportunities to learn.  ("You're going to give us an assignment?" some whined... while some other good listeners caught the word "extra" in there.)  I've read a few articles lately about schools requiring some online activities on what would otherwise be a snow day so that it doesn't count as a snow day... wouldn't that be nice?  But I can see the issues with the students who don't have internet access (although they're very few now).

Anyway, I posted a couple of assignments around 10 AM (after my kids dragged me out of bed close to 9).  Right now it's 1:27; there have been 28 visits to the Algebra 2 blog (out of 49 students) and 30 to the Precalc blog (out of 57 students). Basically, over half of the kids have checked out what I posted.  I think that's pretty cool.

I've already had one girl e-mail me her answers for the Algebra 2 assignment.  She's a bit of an over-achiever.

If you're interested to see what I posted for them, here are links to the Precalc and the Algebra 2 blogs.

Photo from Flickr user musicmuse_ca.

No comments: