Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Solving Systems Foldable

We've spent the last several weeks solving linear systems in my Integrated (General) Algebra 1 class. Graphing was ok although you'd think they never graphed a link before. Substitution was a train wreck. Elimination went pretty well as long as they can get the whole adding/subtracting negative numbers thing down.  I've been giving them a lot of word problems here lately and most of the kids are now able to write the equations for the system, then use elimination to solve.  I'm pretty happy with that!

I compartmentalize a lot in this class. We learn a couple of skills, review, and quiz. No big unit/chapter tests (if you don't count the exam). But for systems I thought it might be nice to try and pull everything back together.

Ok, so you can graph/use elimination. But can you decide when to use what?

We're quizzing tomorrow on elimination/systems of inequalities. And then I think I'll spend the next few days on the process of making the decision of which method is most appropriate for the system (and then solving it).

I was shopping around for a foldable for the kids and their INBs today when I visited msmathwiki (organized by my friend and fellow TMC12-er Julie Ruelbach).  There were several systems foldables linked there that I checked out and liked @druinok's the best. But I wanted to edit it a bit. So I emailed and Shelli, in her infinite generosity, sent me the word doc.

Here's what I ended up with:

The outside

The inside

Here's the pdf.  (Shoot me an email if you'd like the editable doc!)

And just for fun, I made copies on some pretty pink paper. The boys'll love it.

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

I used your foldable today, and it was great for my students. Thanks so much!