Today is all about pi. I've been scurrying around all morning (while doing "hall duty" for the OGT) trying to make sure I'm ready. It didn't help that I was only here half-day yesterday because I had to take my kid to the doctor. (His finger was swollen about twice the normal size and turning green. I thought I should give in.)
The majority of what I'm doing today was
1. Given 7 different size triangles, use yarn to measure their circumference and diameter. Find the ratio. Then average the ratios. How close are you to pi?
2. Look up your birthday in pi.
3. Read an article about Albert Einstein (it's his birthday today!). Then try to draw a perfect circle. I'm providing a half sheet for them to draw on and a circle printed on a piece of laminate for them to check to see how well they did.
4. Complete a word search using phrases dealing with pi.
5. Read an article about using tau instead of pi and then fill out a unit circle with tau values. (I'm only giving this to my precalc kids.)
6. Eat a pi cookie (if you sing a pi song).