Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Using QR Codes

I want to preface this by saying that I'm totally stealing this from Megan Hayes-Golding. Please check out her post here!

Megan did this awesome activity where she set up QR codes around her room as a scavenger hunt to help lead her students through the locations of important stuff in her room (like the pencil sharpener and eye wash) as well as some topics they'll be talking about this year.

While I don't really have locations to worry about, I thought it would be fun to put an activity like this together for precalc.  I listed 8 different topics we'll be covering this year (parametric eqs, polar, trig, unit circle, vectors, limits, sequences) and then searched online for articles and videos using those ideas.

I created a QR code for each of the links I'd found (if you use Chrome, there's a QR Code Generator in the store that's super easy to use!), then copied and pasted them onto a word document that I'll cut apart and tape around the room.

My goal is to give the kids a good idea of some topics they'll see this year in a fun way (instead of making them guess what we'll do).

I downloaded a new Pirate font (I do love me some fonts!) and then typed up directions for the kids on top of a treasure map. It turned out pretty cute.

Here's what I came up with!






Now I'll just have to pray that the wireless internet at school isn't acting goofy on Wednesday. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Megan Hayes-Golding said...

I LOVE the pirate font! My fingers are crossed for you, too.

What will the kids use to read the QR codes and view the videos/articles? Something like 90% of mine have smartphones (total reversal from the last 3 years!).

Patti said...

I'm so jealous of both of you! I have 4-5 kids in one class alone who don't have access to the internet at all and only a few kids with phones of any kind, which officially they are not allowed to bring to school. Our iPad cart doesn't arrive until December at the earliest.