Monday, January 28, 2013

No Hatin'!

I've had a great year so far. I've been super busy with school work and trying to change how I do things on a daily basis (which if you read this ever, hopefully you've seen that). My classes are good; I'm really enjoying my precalc kids and the Algebra 1 classes have their ups and downs (don't all freshmen?).

I'm normally laid back - unless kids are disrespectful - and like to have a good time in class. I think the kids see that. I've formed good relationships and the kids feel comfortable in here. But I'm not a pushover.  At least that's how I see it.

I use pizza boxes to set up barriers between the kids while they take tests and quizzes. They're not big fans and say it always makes them hungry to stare at the pizza.  The kids have taken to write little comments on the boxes (grrr). The other day while I was putting them away I saw this:


Honestly, that bothered me. Is treating the kids like humans a bad thing? Should I not show interest in their lives? Should I not ask how their weekend was or what plans they have for their birthday? Should I not try and laugh and joke and basically make my day more enjoyable?

And then, of course, I tried to figure out who would've written it.  It's a girl. It's probably one of my precalc kids (because the Algebra kids love the attention).  That narrows it down to about 35.  But then, it doesn't really matter. It's not going to change who I am or how I deal in my classroom. If me saying hi and asking how someone's day has been makes one person feel better, then it's worth it to me.

I ain't gonna worry about the haters out there. 

:)

2 comments:

Shireen Dadmehr said...

I totally took it a different way than you, I think. The 2nd writer (aren't there 2?) is trying to be funny based on the 1st writer ..... more "so sad you love her because she doesn't love you back THAT way" type of joke.

So 1st writer being nice to you, and 2nd writer trying to be funny and not mean.

Am I missing something?

KFouss said...

And with that comment you've made me feel a lot better.

Not that I was letting it bother me, of course. (ha.) I hadn't thought of it that way... but it makes sense, especially in teenage world.

Thank you!!

(btw, I love MTM!)